Proposed Start Date: ASAP
Position: Tissue Culture Manager
Report to: VP of Science, Research and Product Development
Agrima Botanicals, a federally licensed (LP), wholly owned subsidiary of Ascent Industries, is seeking a Plant Tissue Culture Manager to work in our state-of-the-art Maple Ridge facilities in collaboration with scientists and lab technicians to maintain and grow our plant tissue culture collection. The TC Manager will manage all areas of plant tissue culture and will provide a high level of technical expertise related to each aspect of the process. Responsible for cross-training and team building to meet high demands of tissue culture production and quality, the successful candidate will exude passion for the industry and an authentic love for plants and people.
Your daily responsibilities will include:
- Oversee daily operations of greenhouse production and tissue culture labs, assisting senior level management with Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and environmental control;
- Assist in coordination of plants from laboratory to greenhouse facilities in accordance with predetermined timelines and procedures;
- Develop and build upon protocols for plant micropropagation and SOPs; Write lab protocols and detailed reports, keeping detailed accounts of all activities, research and observations; Record data in lab journals, notebooks and databases;
- Cross-train existing and new team members across various facilities in production quality; assess performance management of team, setting individual and departmental goals alongside Human Resources;
- Work in conjunction with other senior level management to develop production schedules and crop cycles;
- Manage all aspects of large scale cannabis plant tissue culture procedures and experimentation including initiation of cultures from tissue deemed non-sterile, preparation and optimization of all culture media, and transferring plants to new media;
- Prepare and follow a micropropagation schedule and stock solutions; Monitor and maintain inventory of tissue culture supplies;
- Assess contamination levels and health in all culture sets and ensure compliance with lab safety standards and ACMPR regulations.
- Technical knowledge in establishing plant tissue culture labs;
- Strong knowledge of plant tissue culture, with focus on plant micropropagation techniques;
- In-depth understanding of hygiene control and aseptic techniques;
- Good understanding of ACMPR requirements and regulations;
- Strong business acumen with an aptitude for problem solving and achieving results.
- Excellent reporting and documentation skills; strong analytical mindset;
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to work with diverse personalities and cross-functional teams;
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to perform laboratory processes using aseptic techniques in a sterile environment;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to follow strict Standard Operating Procedures;
- Ability to work on parallel projects simultaneously, deliver results, and work efficiently under pressure.
Other Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant Science field (Plant Biology, Botany, Microbiology, Biotechnology, or Biology);
- 3-5 years of practical experience working in sterile, lab-based environment with tissue culture, aseptic techniques and micropropagation;
- Demonstrated experience managing a team, including scheduling, productivity monitoring, and cross-training;
- Previous experience working in cannabis industry considered an asset.